Monday, February 15, 2016

Legend


This morning I had to call 911.
Carol was having a bad anxiety attack, and I couldn't help her. She wanted “to go home to her family” and take the dogs with her. She was sobbing and having trouble breathing.
When the ambulance arrived and they were checking her vitals one of them said,”Oh my God! Do you guys know who this is? She's a central coast legend! She logged more volunteer hours than anyone!” He looked at her and asked, “Do you remember me? You helped break me in on driving the ambulance.” When I saw her face light up I almost cried.
In a few minutes it was old home week and Carol's anxiety slipped away as they remembered people they had worked with and where they were now.
Her vital signs had returned to normal and the head paramedic said that he didn't think that a trip to the hospital was necessary. I agreed.
After they left I asked Carol where her award certificates were. She found them in a paper grocery bag behind a chair in the living room. We sat down on the couch and looked at them. There was a whole stack of awards for 3,000 hours of volunteer service for a year. Only one of them was framed, and I leaned it up on a shelf where everyone could see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment